Dental Implant Recovery New York
Through the use of Dr. Tischler's pre-operative pharmacological protocol and gentle surgical techniques, recovery is usually easier than most patient think it will be. In general since bone doesn't contain pain nerves like a tooth, implant placement itself is one of the least painful dental procedures. There are generally two phases of the dental implant recovery process. Our New York dental experts are dedicated to educating you about this process so that the healing period is just as successful as your surgery. Dr. Michael Tischler will explain the details of his suggested recovery steps, as well as those for hygiene and cleaning. If you have questions about the post-op phase of your dental implant treatment, contact us today.
What to Expect
Every patient's healing period is based on his or her individual experience. If you've undergone bone or soft-tissue grafting prior to surgery, for example, you should expect more downtime than those who have not. There are a few general guidelines to help you understand the dental implant recovery process.
- Immediately after treatment at our New York facility, our experts suggest that you rest for at least a full day after your procedure.
- A diet of soft foods should be maintained until Dr. Tischler advises otherwise. Sticky and very crunchy foods should be avoided at all costs during this initial recovery period.
- If you are a smoker, quitting for the duration of your recovery will significantly decrease the risk of dental implant failure and infection.
- Mild discomfort is to be expected, although it can be alleviated by sedatives or prescription pain medicine provided by Dr. Tischler.
- The osseointegration phase of recovery lasts several months and gives the implant time to fuse properly with your jawbone.
- During this phase, you can wear a temporary crown or tooth-colored restoration to give your smile a complete look.
Recovery at Home
It is important to remember that, during osseointegration, you must pay special attention to the treatment of your implants. Excessive forces such as habitual clenching or grinding of your teeth can cause your implants to loosen or fracture. These forces can also damage the screws and surrounding dental cement. If it becomes a problem, Dr. Tischler can discuss with you the option of a mouth guard or night guard to protect your new hardware.
If you experience any unusual or uncomfortable effects, it is important to contact us immediately. We want to avoid any complications relating to TMJ disorder, inflammation, infection, or neck or facial pain. Understanding the temporary post-op limitations of your dental implants will aid you in taking good care of them as they heal. If ever you have questions or concerns regarding the dental implant recovery process, please contact us in New York as soon as possible.
Learn More about Dental Implant Recovery
Each aspect of your dental implant procedure is equally important, from surgery to recovery. By the time we send you home, we want you to feel comfortable with the routine that will optimize your dental implant experience. If you have any questions about your dental implant recovery, we welcome you to call our New York office. If you would like to schedule your initial consultation, a follow-up appointment, or have a question for one of our doctors, please don't hesitate to contact us today via email or phone.